Race Recap Nike Hospice Dash Half Marathon (OR the race that shouldn’t have been)

Moral of the story: Don’t race when you are sick. I now have thrown up on two race courses in my history, not a fact I am proud of.

Since Wednesday I’ve been feeling under the weather. But in my gloating of not being sick since March, I thought it was just allergies. WRONG. Stuffed nose and sore throat, feeling like crap, and the whole bit. Hit me full-on on Friday. I showed up at the race site and my friend Deb goes “uh oh”.

The first three miles she kept asking me if I wanted to stop. I didn’t really have to do this after all. I really didn’t want to do it if I had been honest with myself. But on I trucked. set my watch for 12 minute mile pace and just wanted to finish upright. I told Deb to go ahead because I had to keep stopping to blow my nose. Honestly, I felt like garbage. I kept leapfrogging between the very end of the race to up to the not so end. At one point I saw the sag wagon/ cop car and knew I had to do something. So I sped up. Right after that I immediately regretted it. My lungs were full, my nose was full, and I couldn’t even draw breath. My stomach was heaving with cramps from lack of oxygen. Luckily no one was around as I stumbled off to the side of the road and left some of my stomach on the course. I felt better after that and continued my run/walk down river road.

At least I could still smile in the fort.

Eventually we entered old fort Niagara and the view was lovely. However after leaving the fort, the roads were open and it was hot. I could feel the dehydration kicking in. Luckily at the 12 mile mark they had water. I took it in and ran the rest of the way in. Even got a little bit of a finishing kick as Deb ran back out on the course to find me and run me in.

At the finish line I got my medal and discovered that someone from my training group actually won the women’s race! Lania is lightening fast so I

Not a bad finisher's medal!

was happy for her! Even my time wasn’t completely awful considering the conditions. I managed a 2:41:34 which trumped my PR before Philly. I guess I just am getting faster, even if I am sick.

Afterwards as I walked away I felt like death. I was dizzy and felt like I was going to hurl all over again. Eventually I managed to find the most delicious Pepsi of my life. My stomach managed to settle down enough to make it home. Then I got to pick up my foster puppy, so I felt much better!

I would love to say that I will never race when I am sick again. I felt horrible and it was miserable. However, I am one of those people: If I pay the race fee, I am going to finish the race. No matter what. Stubbornness is not one of my finer qualities, but it is part of who I am. The only thing that really got me is that I had another race the next day. Survival was my only plan for that race, but that is another blog post….


One thought on “Race Recap Nike Hospice Dash Half Marathon (OR the race that shouldn’t have been)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s